This Strategy shows how we will meet litter reduction targets. Having achieved the previous target to reduce litter in NSW by 40% by 2020, the Strategy will focus on delivering the new targets which are set out in the Waste and Sustainable Materials Strategy. To do this, we need to integrate our approaches to litter prevention across 5 areas (Figure 1):
• approach 1: rewarding responsible behaviour
• approach 2: education and awareness
• approach 3: infrastructure and clean-up
• approach 4: regulation and enforcement
• approach 5: evaluation and monitoring.
To see how these approaches work together to prevent litter, view The Litter Journey: A closer look.
NSW Litter Prevention Strategy